About Horse Teeth
All horses' teeth and associated structures are made of the same basic materials as our teeth.
Equine teeth comprise:
- Soft tissue
The horse's teeth are specialized to process the types of food they eat. Still, their teeth can suffer from nearly all the problems that our teeth may have... And a few more problems that are unique to horse teeth!
Equine Dental Problems
There are numerous types of problems that we see in horses' mouths, including:
- Uneven wear
- Tooth loss
- Abnormal development
- Special types of cancer
These are just some of the problems we diagnose and treat here at New Bolton Center. Some problems are common and the treatment may be routine. Other conditions can only be identified and diagnosed by careful, complete examination of your horse's mouth. An instrument called an oral speculum is necessary to do this.
Sometimes getting your horse's mouth simply "floated" guarantees that problems can and will be missed! Horse dentistry has evolved rapidly in the past few decades. We strongly urge owners to have their horse's mouths be examined once a year by a trained veterinarian.
Old age poses challenges to all of us. The nature of a horse's dentition presents special challenges as they age. As a horse gets old, they can literally run out of some of their teeth! This can cause serious problems in the aged horse. These "Senior Citizens" need special inclusive care that blends components of dentistry, nutrition, medicine, and caregiving to produce successful results. We at NBC are uniquely qualified to provide these services.
- Oral Examinations, diagnosis and consultations.
- Advanced imaging including radiology, ultrasound, Computed Tomography, nuclear imaging, etc.
- Annual dental care for healthy horses.
- Odontoplasty (tooth shaping) to address abnormal tooth wear.
- Periodontal disease diagnosis and treatment.
- Surgical and oral dental procedures.
- Performance oral exams including bit evaluations, shared collaboration with other departments within the Hospital.
- Special geriatric dental care and multi department management consultations.